Monday, May 26, 2008

Off the Vent

The doctors decided enough was enough with the vent and extubated Zoe on Sunday morning. She is doing well off the vent. We can tell that she is really happy to get that tube out of her throat, although it was replaced by the annoying CPAP on her face. She's getting so much stronger so she can really display just how unhappy she is with the situation. Her oxygen needs are lower than they have been in a while. Her chest xrays still show some partial collapse, so she still needs to grow new lung tissue to ensure she won't go back on the ventilator. We are hoping this was the last run-in with it, but we will see. It's all up to her.

A nice bonus of being off the ventilator is that we can hold her. I got some quality holding time today with her. She is so much bigger now than she was 3 weeks ago. It felt nice to have her in my arms again. She fell quickly asleep and rested soundly for over an hour with me.

7 comments:

Abby Wojcikiewicz said...

I am so glad you are able to hold your precious baby again! I'm looking forward to the day that I will hold her and shower her with love too!

Pam Montgomery said...

Visions of healthy lung tissue crossing the Rockies every day. Keep it growing, Zoe and take all the oxygen you can. Glad for more holding time for Mom and Dad . . . soak it up. Every minute of it. We love you all. Uncle Pat and Pam

Unknown said...

Keep up the good work Zoe and keep growing.

Charlotte said...

Love you Zoe! Keep up the good work.

Morgan said...

So fantastic to hear Zoe's off the vent and that her O2 assistance is getting to be less and less. Good work little girl. I love you!

Ric Cochrane said...

So, Zoe: I've been having this stomach issue, so I went to see a practitioner of ancient Unani medicine at his hakim, hidden away in the winding lanes of Old Delhi. After he worked his magic and gave me a strange powder concoction, he asked, "Anything else?" I said, "Yes, actually, my friends' daughter is minus 8 weeks old and her lungs aren't fully developed. You have anything for that?" He said, "Can she come to the clinic?" Hmmm... you just let me know when you're up for a road trip, babe. Love, Uncle Ric

Phil said...

I'm so glad Zoe is doing better, and I love that picture-- it says a lot.